CVS Caremark's Privacy Commitments
Effective Date: November 30, 2012.
- Transparency. We will make our privacy commitments easy to find and easy to read.
- Choice. You have choices about what information you provide to CVS and how CVS Caremark will use your information for marketing purposes.
- Security. We will use state of the art security safeguards to protect your privacy and the data entrusted to us.
- Control. We will not sell your personal information to anyone, for any purpose. And when we share information with our subsidiaries or trusted service providers, they too must comply with our privacy commitments.
We recognize the trust you place in us to safeguard your privacy. Our privacy commitments are and will remain a fundamental part of our business, and will apply to everyone who has a relationship with CVS Caremark, including patients, customers, and visitors to Our Sites. These commitments may well grow as our business grows and we develop new ways to interact with you, but rest assured that we will keep you informed about these changes through our updated policies.
CVS Caremark Sites and Mobile Apps are owned and operated by the CVS Caremark Corporation.
For information about the privacy of your personal health information, please review the CVS Caremark Notice of Privacy Practices.
Your Consent to Use Our Sites
The Information We Collect About Customers and Users
- Contact Information, which we use for contacting you regarding your orders or for services which may be of interest to you;
- Billing Information necessary for your financial relationship with us, including payment method data you store with us for the completion of orders;
- Personal Health Information necessary for filling prescription orders from CVS Caremark. We may also collect Personal Health Information while providing you services at CVS MinuteClinic. This information is also protected under our Notice of Privacy Practices;
- Technical Information relating to your use of our Sites or mobile apps.
How We Collect Information About Customers and Users
CVS Caremark collects information in four primary ways:
- When you provide us with information when you purchase or interact with us about products or services offered by CVS Caremark;
- When you register as a user of a CVS Caremark Site;
- When we collect technical information automatically when you visit Our Sites; and
- When we obtain information about you from your employer or health care plan in connection with your prescription orders.
How We Use Information About Customers and Users
CVS Caremark may use the information we collect in a variety of ways to enhance our customers' experiences, including to:
- Process your orders for products or services;
- Improve customer services;
- Respond to your questions;
- Deliver you customized content, advertising and savings that may be of interest to you;
- Communicate with you regarding updates, offers, and promotions;
- Monitor and ensure Site integrity and security;
- Aggregate non-identifiable information for business analysis.
Online Activity Tracking and Advertising
- We collect information about your activity on Our Sites and through our advertisements using technologies such as cookies, including third-party cookies, web beacons and server log files.
- We and our third party business partners use this automatically generated information, as well as other information that we or they have, to provide you with an optimal website experience. This includes measuring the effectiveness of our ads and your interactions them, and tailoring offers and advertisements to you for products or services you may find helpful on Our Sites and third-party sites.
- Our Sites may also contain third-party cookies from advertising partners who help serve ads for CVS Caremark and other third parties on Our Sites and elsewhere on the web. To opt-out of these type of cookies, visit the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) website by clicking here.
- Remember that even if you opt-out through the NAI website, you can still receive tailored offers through your CVS ExtraCare savings and rewards program, which can be accessed through mycvs.com.
How We Share Personal Information
- We do not sell your personal information to anyone for marketing purposes.
- With CVS Caremark Companies: CVS Caremark and its subsidiaries may share your personally identifiable information with one another to ensure that your experiences as a customer or user of CVS Caremark Sites is as seamless and enjoyable as possible.
- In Other Circumstances: CVS Caremark may share your information in other limited circumstances, including:
- Responding to requests from law enforcement officials or judicial authorities or to otherwise cooperate with authorities pursuant to a legal matter;
- Responding to matters of personal or public safety;
- In litigation, investigations, and other legal matters where the data is pertinent;
- To investigate security incidents;
- In the event of the sale or transfer of CVS Caremark or of some of our assets, or in the context of similar business negotiations.
Anonymous and Aggregate Information
- We also collect technical, non-personal information about Site users.
- CVS Caremark may also remove personally identifiable information to create anonymous data.
- This data cannot be used to identify any individual, and we will not attempt to re-identify later or allow others to do.
- CVS Caremark uses and shares this data for historical, statistical, or business planning purposes.
- CVS Caremark Sites are not intended or designed to attract users under the age of 13.
- We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we know to be under the age of 13.
- We instruct users under the age of 13 not to send any information to CVS Caremark through our Sites.
Our Data Protection and Security Policy
- We maintain industry standard security measures, including SSL encryption, to protect sensitive data such as when it is stored by CVS Caremark and when you send it to us.
- We maintain personal information for registered Site users in accordance with our Records Retention Policy and Procedure, and you have the right to change your membership information or status at any time.
CVS Caremark Customer Privacy Choice and Control
- You have the ability to review, modify, or request the removal of personal information we collect about you. Certain information may be retained, however, to satisfy legal obligations.
- You may choose to limit the types and frequency of communications you receive from CVS Caremark.
- You may choose to end your relationship with CVS Caremark at any point.
Our Privacy Commitments to Employment Applicants
- We collect information, including personal contact information, education and work history, as well as Social Security numbers in order to process and consider your application.
- Your application information will not be sold to unaffiliated third-parties for marketing purposes.
- The information on your application may be shared with background services and our affiliates and used for certain regulatory, compliance and legal purposes.
Your Personal Health Information
In some circumstances, CVS Caremark's use of your information will also be subject to the requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (frequently referred to as 'HIPAA'). For example, when you are submitting personal health information for prescription refills, or you provide information to during a visit to the MinuteClinic or through the Patient Center My Records at MinuteClinic.com, we are subject to the requirements of HIPAA.
In these circumstances, the terms of CVS Caremark's HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices will apply.
If you have questions about which policy applies to information you have provided us, please do not hesitate to Contact Us, or call us toll-free at (888) 607-4287.
Your California Privacy Rights